Before I begin penning my advice, you need to know why I am sharing certain golden words of advice with you.
Two years back, I was myself hunting for legitimate ways to making money online. I could find only few options like freelancing, online tutoring & micro task like typing, captcha filling and survey jobs. No one was talking about starting a blog or become a YouTube Channel Owner. The last two options are source of consistent money, provided your blog posts are consistent.
If you dont believe me, you can yourself Google out big names in the blogging industry and assure your brain. Also, if you want to understand this concept better then I recommend, you must read Robert Kiyosaki’s book “Rich Dad Poor Dad”.
A blog is not only a regular source of income but also gives you royalty of your work even you are sleeping! No wonder, in contemporary times, blogging is the largest platform for communicating information and news.
If you are creative writer and can easily express your views…or a create video producer…then blogging is your ultimate destination to make money. All you need to do is find a niche for yourself and stick to providing evergreen information thorough text or videos.
So lets start with ” How to start a blog – A Practical Guide”
How to start a blog – A practical guide
1. Prepare A Postive Attitude
Before you start blogging make sure to have a positive mindset towards success and interest of doing work. Eminent motivator Shiv khera says “Your positive action combined with positive thinking results in success.”
2. Find your niche
Your niche lies in your passion. Excavate it.The overall success of your blog depends on demand of topic as well as your interest on that very topic.
If you lose interest in your own blog, how will you attract that of others? So make sure choose topic which you like to know and share as well as others’ like to read/watch. If you need suggestions. here is the link to “best ways to get blog post ideas“. You must also read our post ” How to Create A Micro-Niche Blog“
2. Select a Blogging Platform
The internet facilitates many blogging platforms like Blogger, Tumblr, WordPress, drupal, Weebly, Wix, livejournal and many more. I always recommend WordPress as best platform to start blogging and above chart shows value of WordPress. If you take top 100 blog of world then approx 48 blogs run on WordPress platform only.
Why I am recommending these? Well WordPress enjoys the trust of more than 72 million users for blogging due to the following reasons:
- It is available free of cost! You can avail the features of WordPress such as layouts, themes and add-ons without any added costs.
- The setup procedure is simple and easy to comprehend.
- WordPress implements sound security measures to keep your blog away from the threat of hacking.
You can check famous blogging platform also and take suitable decision as per your requirement.
Choose perfect domain name
Helps you choose a perfect, unique domain name, and that too of your choice.
Domain name play crucial role in success of your blog and it also help in SEO to get good rank. So think about start blogging try to choose suitable domain name for your blog.
But Please make sure to check below points before take decision for any domain name
- Keep it Short : Prefer one word domain name. So people can easily remember your domain name.
- Easy to type: Don’t use any complex word in domain and it should easy pronounceable
- Use Keywords: It’s one of the important for SEO point of view and help in getting good rank
- Avoid Number and hyphen: Number confuse with numeric or text and chance to forget dash so try to avoid them.
- Use a unique Domain Name:so people can recognize what your site all about.
4. Domain name registration
Here come handy the following essentials:
- Cost of Registration: Cost always matter for registration and for renew domain so choose where from you will get name in lower cost.
- Choose universal accepted domain extension: If your site target is open then try to choose .com or .org domain and avoid country target or some unaware domain extension
- Choose domain name and register is soonest: Buy it as soon as you zero on it, since everyday new sites are getting registered. So don’t lose the opportunity.
- Choose trustworthy domain hosting platform: Choose platform which people trust so they will not going to deceit you and stop your domain functionality.
Here are the “Top 10 platform to register your domain name“. You can check out and buy a new domain.
5. Host your website
Hosting play very important role in success of your website since uptime and fast loading of site and other such factors depend on your hosting platform. So please get much information about hosting site before host your blog and start blogging.
Here we are providing you more tips on:
6. Install & configure WordPress
As we already discussed, WordPress is best platform to start blogging and it is very easy for you to learn also. So once you select any web hosting platform then install & configure WordPress.
I recommend to configure WordPress on local machine first then once it configures correctly, move it to the hosting server. Check our step by step guide to install WordPress locally.
You can read below articles and make your WordPress more efficient
- A step by step & practical guide of wordpress configuration
- Simplest steps to install wordpress theme for your blog
- Few important tips while choosing theme for your blog
- Top websites to get free theme for WordPress blogs
- Top websites to get premium theme for WordPress blogs
Note: Choose theme that fits perfectly with your niche like your site.
7. WordPress SEO – Way to get your blog ranking
Every day thousands of websites and blogs go live but first page of google can have only few links for the best keyword. So in order to get rank you need to follow on strategy which online world called Search Engine Optimization or SEO.
SEO plays a great role in success of your website and it’s divided into On page SEO and Off-Page SEO.
- On-page SEO where we mainly focuses on keywords, content and quality
- Off-page SEO mainly focuses on increase authority of your website by submitting guest blog, comments, forum writing on other online platform.
Here you can more insight into the SEO world
- What is SEO in simple words and why we use it
- Best On-page SEO techniques to get ranking
- Best ways to write SEO optimize content post
Make sure you use best keyword research tools to get high volume and low competitive keywords to get rank of your blog. For that we insist you check List of best available keyword research tools
8. Secure WordPress Blog – Practical tips
‘Prevention is better than cure.’ Apply few security tips so your blog remain safe from hackers. Otherwise every day thousands of website get hacked and some day your website could also one of them.
When I am saying secure website means my main focus on secure your data on web so I always recommend to take backup of your website regularly.So read: “Steps to take for WordPress database backup manually
9. Add WordPress Plugins
Make WordPress more efficient by adding Plugins since they play a great role in making WordPress website more SEO friendly You can add any complex functionality by just adding plugin related to requirement. And for one work you will get many plugins. So simply choose the best one for your log.
- Top & essential wordpress plugins -one should install on start a blog
- Security plugin
- Best WordPress security plugin – secure your blog automatically
And you must also read the following in detail:
- How to setup and configure yoast SEO plugin
- How to create WordPress sitemap using Yoast SEO plugin
- How to submit site map to Google and get rank
10. OTHER REQUIREMENTS TO SET-UP A BLOG
The most essential steps are already done and dusted below. But then there are w few other links we will recommend you to read. Topics on subjects like Logo, Images, Videos on your blog.
- Top sites to get free logo design for your website
- Easiest way to get royalty free images for your blog
- Top sites to get royalty free images for commercial use
11. Promote your blog or Get traffic on your blog
Every business, irrespective of a niche needs good marketing to become a brand. This is also called digital marketing. Let’s look few ways to get visible big time in ONLINE WORLD:
- How to drive traffic to your blog from Quora.com
- Top 5 tools every online marketer must aware of
- Best tools to automate your social media profiles
- Tips to convert traffic to leads and make money
There are many social media profile and other platform like Question answer portal, Niche forum where you can promote your blog. I specially recommend to read our blog series on zero cost tactics traffic for blogger.
12. Make Money Online Via Blog
You can apply Google adsense or other adsense, Affiliated marketing, referral marketing or many other techniques to start earning from blog. And after you have connected your blog to an affiliate then your must read the following tips
- Steps to create Google adsense account and start making money online
- How to increase Google adsense earnings
- How To Ensure you don’t Get Banned On Google Adsense
Most of people choose Affiliated marketing instead of Google adsense and it’s obvious one can make more money using affiliated marketing..So it’s better to read about Affiliated marketing and then get ready to go .
- What is affiliated marketing and how does it work
- Top and famous Affiliate program in india
- CJ affiliate program – A step by step tutorial
- Most famous WordPress affiliate program
And still if you have any more queries, then do leave in the comments column. I will answer them personally.