WordPress provide basic facilities for user management by which you can provide different role for different user. Every user do not need same rights..as each have different task so by role we can define a set of tasks for a particular user .
WordPress provide 5 different roles and each roles has pre-defined set of capabilities. Here you will learn about each role and way to assign role.
1. Administrator: Admin role has full rights to do any thing like dd any plugin to change any theme to edit or add any content means king of country.
2. Editor: Editor has rights to add and edit post, edit any other user posts and also publish any post.
3. Author: Author can write post and publish own post but doesn’t have rights to edit another user post.
4. Contributor: Contributor can write post but can not publish any post.
5. Subscriber: Permanent & basic member of blog. Has right as guest but doesn’t need to log in again & again for comment any post. He can also edit own profile and wordpress dashboard.
Steps to add user and provide role
By default WordPress consider your User ID (which you have been using to access your blog) as administrator role.. in order to see just click on All User under Users menu in left side as below.
Once you click then you can see below administrator role given to your user ID.
And Provide information like below:-
- Username:Required field and provide unique user Name.
- Email: Required field and Provide New user email.
- First Name: Not required field, fill in the user’s first name
- Last Name: Not required field, fill in the user’s last name
- Website: Not required field, provide users website URL.
- Password : Choose strong password and do not send password to users mail so leave option unchecked.
- Role: Select appropriate role for user from given dropdown.
Tips:- Do not use admin or administrator as user name otherwise chance to trap by hacker would be more.
For better management of WordPress blog, Please remove all user which are currently not in use except administrator and editor .
There are many plugin also available in WordPress to manage user efficiently so try to install any of plugin and be safe …have a great journey ahead..
Note: Before provide any access to user please remember administrator can remove other administrator and editor can delete content or make any wrong changes. it may affect your security so please be careful..
All the best for this journey!!!
Hope you like this blog post…If yes then please subscribe this blog, follows us on twitter, like our Facebook page and if you have any doubt or want to add something then please write us in comment or contact us.
A big thanks for reading 🙂